Rescuing Val Verde County History through the

Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps

 

Photos taken of early homes and buildings in Del Rio in 1976

for Val Verde County Historical Commission Survey

 

#

VVCHC#

Name – Address – Date – Uses – Historical Significance

1

VVCHC 1

Mr. Madison – Ogden Street – 1920 – Gas Station/Store – 1st Ford Agency in Del Rio

2

VVCHC 3

Madison Garage – 109 South Main Street – 1930 – Ford garage/store – 2nd location of Ford garage owned by Mr. Madison

3

VVCHC 4

Bob Burdett Grocery – Main Street – 1928 – grocery/store – Mr. Bob Burdett was a general in Pancho Villa’s army

4

VVCHC 5

Cameron Lumber Company – Corner Dignowity and Pierce Street – early 1900s – lumber company/apartment

5

VVCHC 6

Schubert Hotel – 204  South Main Street – 1900 – Yates Hotel – Dr. Brinkley used it as a hospital; built by Mr. Yates

6

VVCHC 7

Annex to Wood and Sons Bank/Franks Hotel – 204 South Main Street – 1885 – bank/hotel/residence – building was first bank in Del Rio “Wood & Sons Bank”; later was Franks Hotel; Mr. Frank was a Texas Ranger before coming to Del Rio

7

VVCHC 8

Henson Hotel – Main Street – 1920 – hotel/store

8

VVCHC 9

Railroad House – 127 East Martin Street – 1885 – home – Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by Mr. Taini

9

VVCHC 10

Railroad House – 114 East Martin Street – 1885 – home -- Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by Mr. Taini

10

VVCHC 11

Railroad House – 112 East Martin – 1885 – home -- Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by Mr. Taini

11

VVCHC 12

Railroad House – 110 East Martin – 1885 – home -- Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by Mr. Taini

12

VVCHC 13

Dietert Home – 208 Martin – 1885 – home – handmade brick; built by Mr. Taini

13

VVCHC 14

Mr. White-Mr. McGity Railroad-Rooms – 109 Martin Street – 1885 – rooms-railroad/apartment – adobe built by Mr. White

14

VVCHC 15

John Dobkins – 119 Martin Street -- ? – motor company/warehouse

15

VVCHC 16

Charles Miller Home – 112 West Martin Street – 1908 – home – Mr. Miller came to Del Rio with the railroad as a painter and built one of the first hotels; served as Justice of the Peace; built by Mr. Taini

16

VVCHC 17

Madison Garage – Martin and South Main Street – 1924 – 1st Ford garage/bus repair shop

17

VVCHC 18

Taylor Duke – Main Street -- ? – meat market/store – brick built by Mr. Randall

18

VVCHC 19

Federal Building – Corner Main and Broadway – 1915-16 – post office/federal building/county judicial building – arched doorways and windows with basemen stucco and wrought iron lamp stands at each entrance

19

VVCHC 20

Mr. La Cross – Corner Main and Broadway -- ? – printshop/Del Rio News Herald

20

VVCHC 21

Marcy Martin – Main Street – early 1900s – grocery/western store

21

VVCHC 22

F. C. Blain Home – Broadway – 1880s – home/apartments – destroyed  in 1978 – home was built by F. C. Blaine then sold to Mr. Ware; Mr. Ware built the “Opera House” in 1886 which is now Rita Theatre (Paul Poag Theatre)

22

VVCHC 23

Duke Home – 108 East Broadway -- ? – home/office

23

VVCHC 24

Railroad House – Martin -- ? – home -- Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by Mr. Taini

24

VVCHC 25a

Eagle Pass Lumber – Main Street --?—lumber company/carpet store/ adobe built by Mr. Price and was the Price Lumber Company

25

VVCHC 25b

Same as above – different view

26

VVCHC 26

Tom Payne Building – 432 South Main Street – 1885-1900 – store/store – tin building next door to Walton Building

27

VVCHC 27a

Walton Building – 432 South Main Street – 1922 – store/store; built by Charles Siever

28

VVCHC 27b

Same as above – different view

29

VVCHC 28

Joseph Hyman Building – NE Corner Main and Garfield – 1889-1990 – store/store – two-story handmade brick with original doors and original windows upstairs; stucco front of building; Joseph Hyman’s family lived upstairs; built by Mr. Taini

30

VVCHC 29

Old Fire Station-City Hall – 120 East Garfield – 1924 – fire station/Del Rio Boys’ Club/Del Rio Council for the Arts – old fire station and city hall; built by Charles Siever

31

VVCHC 30

Warner Building – NE Corner Main and Losoya – 1889-1900 – store/store – two-story with basement; rock; lines of building are the same; can be easily restored; built by Mr. Taini

32

VVCHC 31

Pennington Building – 625 South Main Street – 1889-1900 – store/store – one-story flat flint rock stacked up to windows; hand-made brick finished the building

33

VVCHC 32

Del Rio National Bank – SW Corner Greenwood and Main – 1910 – bank/loan company – two-story brick with basement built by Alfred Giles

34

VVCHC 33

H. J. Ware Building (Rita Theatre) – 746 South Main – 1886 – saloon & opera house/theatre – two-story at one time; top floor has been removed to make a theatre; handmade bricks used in building

35

VVCHC 34

Rose Building (Burke) – 748 South Main – 1907 – store/store – two-store rock building with basement with original windows and doors; wrought iron stairway New Orleans style

36

VVCHC 35

Lindheim-Roach McLymont-Bealls – 801 Canal-Main – 1877 – store/store – two-story handmade brick with basement enlarged by taking in other buildings; built by Louis Lindheim in 1877

37

VVCHC 36

Ross Drug Store – 800 South Main – 1889-1900 – drugstore/drugstore – two-story handmade brick with basement; original sign in window of gold gilt; original windows and doors; front cut stone; built by Mr. Pennington

38

VVCHC 38a

Galindo Store and Home – SW Corner Main and Pafford 102 – 1896 – store-home/beauty shop-home – store view

39

VVCHC 38b

Same as above – home view

40

VVCHC 39

Taini Home – SE Corner Main and Ney – 1889 – one-story cut rock home; original windows and doors, fountain and fence; built by Mr. Taini (who built Court House)

41

VVCHC 40

Whitehead Memorial Museum – 1400 Block of Main Street – 1873 – Mr. John Perry Store/museum – two-story stacked flint rock walls; 18 inch cypress ceilings; original doors and windows; the wood came from Victoria by ox carts; stage stop

42

VVCHC 41a

Salvatierra Home – Wallen Street – 1875 – home – lumber with well in yard; Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Mrs. Rivers’ yard; he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 when he first came to Del Rio

43

VVCHC 41b

Same as above – different view

44

VVCHC 42a

Louis Brauer Home – 306 Nicholson – 1885 – home-store/home – one-story adobe construction with plaster on outside; built by Dr. Jackson; Mr. Brauer was one of the first surveyors in 1881; home view

45

VVCHC 42b

Same as above – store view

46

VVCHC 43a

Marini Home and Barn – Corner Hudson and Nicholson – home 1912, barn 1909 – home-barn – home altered with plastic siding; barn two-story adobe with 18 inch walls and original windows and shutters; home view

47

VVCHC 43b

Same as above – barn view

48

VVCHC 45a

Foster Home (W. H. Mason) – 123 Hudson – 1908 – home/home – two-story building of wood with plaster finish was the old Mason home; beams inside were carved and shipped from Italy; handpainted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout; sulfur well in backyard was used for baths

49

VVCHC 45b

Same as above – different view

50

VVCHC 46a

Qualia Winery – Hudson Drive – 1882 – winery – two-story barn of adobe with 18 inch walls and original windows and doors and some original barrels to keep wine; oldest bonded winery in the state of Texas; grape arbor view

51

VVCHC 46b

Same as above – winery view

52

VVCHC 47a

Julius Franki Home and Winery – 500 Hudson Drive – 1883-1900 – home-winery/home-barn – adobe; Mr. Franki came from Italy in 1881; farmed and made wine

53

VVCHC 47b

Same as above – different view

54

VVCHC 48a

Cassinelli Store – NE corner Academy and Pecan – 1904 – store/home – two-story rock above windows on lower floor with handmade brick to finish the building; it has been a home, store, grist mill; Mr. Cassinelli was a builder and helped build the courthouse; built by Cassinelli and Taini

55

VVCHC 48b

Same as above – different view

56

VVCHC 49

Wolff House (Jack Hill) – 806 Pecan – 1886 – home – one-story wooden building with old brick out of grist mill up to the windows; built by Mr. Wolff

57

VVCHC 51

Tom Pafford  Home – 709 Pecan – 1868 – home – one-story adobe building with wood paneling on outside; Mr. Pafford was one of the first men  in Del Rio with the Ditch Company

58

VVCHC 52a

Tagliabue Home – 609 Pecan – 1873 – home/store-home – adobe with 18 inch walls; seventh house built in Del Rio; store view

59

VVCHC 52b

Same as above – house view

60

VVCHC 53

Hernan Cadena – 112 Canal Street – 1890s – blacksmith shop

61

VVCHC 55a

Val Verde County Courthouse – 400 Pecan – 1887 – courthouse – 3 floors with basement; hand cut rock; original windows and doors; jail still stands on corner behind courthouse, made with same rock; built by Mr. Taini with Chinese cooleys

62

VVCHC 55b

Same as above – different view

63

VVCHC 56a

Old Val Verde County Jail – 209 Losoya – 1887 – jail/tax office – only one man hung in the jail and he hung himself

64

VVCHC 56b

Same as above – different view

65

VVCHC 58

John Doak Home – 313 Pecan – 1906 – home/law office – one-story cut rock with gingerbread trim; rock pillows of solid piece of stone; built by Mr. Taini

66

VVCHC 59

Old School Building – Mills and Greenwood – 1878 – school/apartments – lumber; Miss Cotton, the 2nd teacher in 1879 would let school out when there was a hanging; however, Mrs. Montgomery would not let her class out; they would sing and close the curtains

67

VVCHC 60

Hal Patten Home – Greenwood – 1880s – home – adobe with 18 inch walls; Mr. Patten came to Texas with Mr. Borroum; had one of the first taxis (house and buggy); was a negro slave at one time before coming to Texas

68

VVCHC 61

Dr. and Mrs. B. F. Orr – 401 East Greenwood – 1918 – home – lumber being restored by Mr. and Mrs. Michael Stool

69

VVCHC 62

Hattie Brown – Losoya – 1900 – home – adobe; Mrs. Brown came to Ft. Clark in Brackettville as General MacKenzie’s cook in 1870s then moved to Del Rio when her husband helped build the railroad

70

VVCHC 63

H. C. Tardy Home – 703 Losoya Street – 1880 – home/apartments – lumber; family buried to the read of house in family cemetery; Tardy sold the home to Mr. Ben Borroum in 1885 and moved back to Sabinal

71

VVCHC 64

Tardy Dam – Johnson Street – 1880-1883 – dam – Mr. Tardy built the rock dam to water his dairy cows behind his home on Losoya

72

VVCHC 65a

E. K. Fawcett Home – 416 Spring Street – 1883-1900 – home – lumber with stucco on outside; Mr. Fawcett was a ranchman in the Loma Alta area of county; he lived in a cave on his ranch when he first came in 1883

73

VVCHC 65b

Same as above – different view

74

VVCHC 66

Mrs. Perry Ellis – Spring – early 1900s – home; lumber

75

VVCHC 67

Lee Weathersbee Home – 315 Spring Street – 1915 – home – brick; Mr.

76

 

Weathersbee was a large rancher in Old Mexico

77

VVCHC 68

John Wood Home (later Almond) – 418 Garfield – 1886-1890 – home – lumber; Mr. Almond served as sheriff and tax collector when Judge Roy Bean was “Law West of the Pecos”

78

VVCHC 69

Grady Lowrey Home – 201 Texas Street – 1902-03 – home – lumber; home was build by Mae Lowrey’s grandfather, Mr. J. Mason, and added on to by her father, J. C. Clarkson, in 1913

79

VVCHC 70

W. K. Jones Home – 316 Garfield – 1884 – home – lumber; Judge Jones was first Val Verde County Judge who helped organize the county

80

VVCHC 71

Griffen  Home – Garfield Street – 1901 – home – adobe with 18 inch walls

81

VVCHC 72

Luke Dowe – 303 Garfield – early 1900s – home/rent house -- brick

82

VVCHC 73

Walter Gillis Sr. – Garfield – 1890 – home – handmade brick

83

VVCHC 74

Paul Cammolli Home – Las Vacas --  1885 – home – adobe; Cammolli family are lawyers and judges, both county and district; Judge George Thurmond’s great-great grandfather

84

VVCHC 75

Moody House – Las Vacas – 1900s – home – handcut rock built by Bedell Moore

85

VVCHC 80

Greenwood Park – Corner Greenwood, Griner, and Garfield – 1910 – park – adobe “gazebo”; land was given by Mr. Frank Greenwood for park; Val Verde County Historical Commission restored the park in 1972

86

VVCHC 81

Woods Home – 609 Griner --  1883-1900 – home/apartments – tow-story; best of lumber went into this building as Mr. Price, who built this house, had the first lumber yard in Del Rio; altered plastic siding that looks like wood has been added

87

VVCHC 82

William Ray Home – Duke Street – 1877 – home – adobe with 18 inch walls; windows are small and built high because of Indians; also the fireplace is built inside of living room (one of the first ten homes built); built by Bochat

88

VVCHC 84

John Owen Glen Home – Gibbs Street – 1900 – home – Mr. Glen was a sutler on reservation grounds of Camp Del Rio; after camp closed he used lumber in old buildings on camp grounds, carting lumber in wheelbarrow and on his shoulders

89

VVCHC 85

Alderhold – east 2nd Street – before 1900 – home – hand cut rock; Texas Rangers lived in this house in 1924

90

VVCHC 86

Leinham Home – 302 East 2nd Street – 1897 – home --

91

VVCHC 87

D. Hart’s Dairy and Cheese Factory – Cienegas Road – 1880s – dairy and cheese factory/home – hand cut rock; two-story part of the building was the D. Hart Dairy and Cheese Factory; other part added on in 1976

92

VVCHC 76-1

Business Stores – South Main Street – 1920 – to be torn down – Muter Taxidermist in center store

93

VVCHC 76-2

Sally Wolford Home – 417 East Garfield – owned by Marvin B. Vick – adobe?

94

VVCHC 76-3

Bochat Home – 400 Nicholson Street – adobe and plaster

95

VVCHC 76-4

Williams  Hospital – 213 East Martin – 1920 – brick and plaster

96

VVCHC 76-5

Sneddon Home – 100 East 1st Street -- plaster

97

VVCHC 76-6

Armstrong House – 821 Spring – See Louse Gylmer-J. Kerrchville; frame

98

VVCHC 76-7

Kent Home – Bolner Lane -- adobe

99

VVCHC 76-8

Dr. Ross Home – 1100 Griner – 1911 – owned by Tully Shahan; plaster

100

VVCHC 76-9

Fred Brown Home – 709 Spring – frame and plaster

101

VVCHC 76-10

Everett House – 501 East Garfield – see Mabel Denton owner; frame

102

VVCHC 76-11

Malley Home – 514 Spring – prior 1911 -- frame

103

VVCHC 76-12

Home built by Frank W. Cochron (Madge Horn’s father) – 209 East 8th Street – 1900 – moved from Railroad Street – frame before moved

104

VVCHC 76-13

Herbst Home – 500 Spring Street – owned by Max Herbst – frame

105

VVCHC 76-14

Dr. Ross Home – 509 Spring – 1907 – one-story; second story added by Parker Family; remodeled; owned by Elvis Stewart; rock – upper frame

106

VVCHC 76-15

Keller Home – 406 Mills – frame

107

VVCHC 76-16

Hamilton Home – 404 Spring Street – owned by L. E. Perry; plaster

108

VVCHC 76-17

Hazel Whitehead – 200 East 8th Street – owned by Robert Warren; remodeled – plaster; built by a Mr. Smith whole grocery business

109

VVCHC 76-18

Carl Balmer – 805 Griner – adobe and plaster

110

VVCHC 76-19

Schubert Home – West 1st Street – See Roger Johnson – frame

111

VVCHC 76-20

Gibons Home – 315 West 2nd – plaster

112

VVCHC 76-21

Thurmond Home – 514 East Garfield; see Mrs. M. Majors – frame

113

VVCHC 76-22

Hardin Home – 506 Losoya – owned by C. B. Buschager; remodeled – frame and plaster

114

VVCHC 76-23

Teasdale Home – 109 West 2nd – Remodeled – owned by Bob Smith – check Marion Russell – frame

115

VVCHC 76-24a

Block Home – End of East Strickland – 1890 -- adobe

116

VVCHC 76-24b

Same as above – different view

117

VVCHC 76-25

Willis  Home – 507 Greenwood – frame

118

VVCHC 76-26

Will Whitehead  Home – 210 East 8th Street – frame

119

VVCHC 76-27

Greenwood Home – 407 Griner -- plaster

120

VVCHC 76-28

Swift Home – 400 Spring Street – rock and frame

121

VVCHC 76-29

Lacrosse Home – 109 East 2nd Street – see W. T. Dawson owner -- rock

122

VVCHC 76-30

Marion Pafford Home – 305 Canal – owned by Leslie Schmidt -- plaster

123

VVCHC 76-31

Early Pafford Home – 201 East Pafford -- adobe