First National Bank Building Before the 1930s, indivudial banks printed their own paper currency.  Del Rio's First National Bank Building did the same.  First National built the tall building just before the Great Depression put them out of business. The GH&SA RR built line from the Houston area to San Antonio in 1877.  In 1881 Californiaís Southern Pacific RR Company bought the GH&SA and built line across the the country, completing America's first real transcontinental rail line near the Pecos Riverís confluence with the Rio Grande on January 12, 1883. Del Rio was division headquarters for the line and home of substantial facilities, including the roundhouse and repair sheds, fuel oil tanks and water tanks. This structure at South Main and Broadway once housed the United States post office and federal courthouse and is now owned by Val Verde County, housing two state courts inside its wonderful Spanish Mission style construction.