Mrs. Hattie Rassittie [?] Elkins Brown came to Texas by wagon with her parents Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Elkins, brother Dan Jr., sister Josephine Elkins. Their home state was Warsaw, Missouri where Hattie was born, June 3, 1858. She was 8 years old. In the year of 1860, they arrived in San Antonio, Texas. Her parents later bought a home on Nagoletas St. Hattie’s father was a shoemaker. [In] later years, Hattie was employed in [the] home of Mrs. Brindle and Family. After leaving the Brindle home, she was employed in the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Florian. Their home is still standing in San Antonio near South Alamo St. They were Polish and French descent. Upon leaving the Florians, she was employed by General Ranald McKenzie and family. They came to Fort Clark by stagecoach. She worked in their home. There in Fort Clark Hattie met and married John Thomas Brown; he was a teamster in Fort Clark. His home was Castroville, Texas. [They] gained many friends [and] later moved to Del Rio in the year of 1885.
[They] lived in San Felipe near Brown Plaza for a while, then moved to Block Street close to the court house. John T. Brown was employed on the rail road. After his work was over, he worked on with trail drivers. Returning from trail drivers he was employed with Rose Livery Stables on South Main Street. John T. Brown and Hattie Brown were well aquainted with early settlers of Del Rio. Their first family doctor was Doctor D Nichalson; the next was Doctor H.B. Ross. John T Brown passed away in 1895. John & Hattie [were] the parents of 6 children. All are deceased.
Vergie Brown Gammage
Warner L. Brown
Josie Brown Todd
Pearl Brown Grant
John T Brown, Jr.
Jessie Brown Jackson
After the death of John T. Brown, Hattie Brown bought property from John Perry where her home still stands [at] 413 East Losoya in 1910. The closest home to her was Mrs. Heid, where Meadow Lane is now. The next was Mr. & Mrs. B.A. Borroum on East Losoya. She knew them very well. The family that was the closest to her was Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Hyman. She met them in Brackettville. Hattie worked for Dr. and Mrs. Fred Rose. She was [a] practical nurse. She was known as Aunt Hattie, "Hattie Ma," & Mrs. Brown to many. She was respected by a great many Del Rio citizens.
[Editor's note: The Brown Home at 413 Losoya still stands though it has been abandoned for years.]
Hattie saw Del Rio grow from small homes to large ones. Even the neighborhood where her home is, she saw homes built on Losoya to San Felipe Creek, and all over town. Hattie Brown passed away in 1947 at the age of 89 years old, leaving a Family of Grandchildren of she and John T. Brown. Their names [are] as follows:
Jessie Mae Hamilton Del Rio
Kathryn Woods Del Rio
Thelma Brown Del Rio
Selma Washington Kansas City, MO
Joe Grant Los Angeles, CA
Gladys Grant Del Rio
Clara Jackson Pocorima [?] CA
Next page…Great & Great Great Grandchildren:
Elsie Wright Pocorima [?] CA
Christine Gilmore Oakland, CA
Harriett R. Brown Hewitt Del Rio Deceased
Sonya Irene Jones Del Rio
Linda Gilmore Lucus Oakland [CA]
There are 12 “Deceased” Grand children of the Brown Familys
[Two additional pages written in the same hand were in the Brown Family file.]
Late 1800 or 1900
The Colored Community of Del Rio bought property from John Perry on the corner of Pulliam and East Greenwood Street, and the inside lots [were] given to them for 99 years by John Perry.
They built a community hall which was used for all entertainment even the “Emancipation” Day on the 18th and 19th day of June. School was also held in the Hall for many years. The School name was “Brackenridge” up across the front door. The building was torn down in “1929” [and the] property sold. The new school was built on the corner of Wernett and Pierce and renamed Tarver in the 1930s. The structure of the Community Hall built of adobe brick and cement. The entrance was to large double doors, 2 large windows in front, 4 large windows on each side, one window in back of one side of a large stage. 1 back door where the stage would fold back for the entrance of the building. Each window had blinds that [were] closed at night. There was also a school bell on the outside on a large stand. [?] for the year it was built, I do not know. It was a long time ago. Back of building was a large coal bin for heating; there was a stove in the middle of the building.
School Group and Picture. “1920s”
Left to Right, top row
George Patton; Mose Simmons; Matilda Simmons; Ella Mea Patton; Mary Etta Haywood; Lucy Wilson; old Spanish man, the Janitor
2nd Row, left to Right
Ben Taylor; Tom Simmons; Sandy Wilson; Eugene Carpenter; Wallace Payne; Dorothy Patton
3rd Row, left to right
Hayzel Patton; Kathryn Woods; Inez Moseley; our teacher, Patrick Ware; Martha Simmonds; Jonell Steen; Cubert Young
Girl Sidney, don’t remember her last name; Rosie Wilson; little girl Thelma Grant; Gladys Grant; Josie Mae Grant; boy don’t remember he name; Gladys Simmons; Joe Grant
There was [?] few that [weren’t] present the day picture taken.
[This text came from a handwritten document at the Val Verde County Library, Local History Files.
The photo is not in the file.
The author does not identify himself.]